Making a table runner can be exactly what you need to give a new look to your dining room table, the mouse table or any other table you have in your home. Traditionally, they have been used to dress the dining room table; but being so versatile, you can decorate any surface with them.
Do you dare to make a beautiful and original table runner? We assure you that it is much easier than you think. You will need a few materials, a bit of skill and imagination. Are you ready?
How to make an easy table runner
To make a table runner it is advisable to use a sewing machine. In this way, you will ensure a perfect finishing. If you do not know how to use it, you can ask a friend to help you or take your table runner ready with the pins to a dressmaker who can do the job.
Materials needed for a 160 x 80cm table
- Fabric 200 x 45cm
- Sewing machine
Step by Step
- First, it is important to overcast the edges of the fabric to prevent fraying. To do this, use the sewing machine with an overcasting foot or a zigzag.
- Once you have the overcasting ready, it’s time to prepare the corners. Mark the hem of approximately 1 cm on the fabric.
- Then, fold the corner inward, forming a triangle. It is important that you make sure you have achieved the right angle.
- Hold the triangle with one finger and in the meantime, fold the fabric by the hem you marked in point 2. Make sure both hems are straight and secure with pins.
- Make the four corners and place pins around the entire table path.
- Machine sew with a normal foot and voila!
Can I make a reversible table runner?
Of course! In decoration, it is possible to do absolutely everything you can think of. Making a reversible table runner is a bit more complex, but not impossible.
- 2 different fabrics for the road, of the same size
- 1 hot melt interlining, in the same way as the path
- Bies (optional)
- Sewing machine
How to do it?
- Place the interlining on the table with the shiny side up.
- Locate one of the patterned fabrics on the interlining, with the print looking at you, and secure with pins.
- Iron very carefully, especially if you use plastic headpins. It is very important that you do not use steam because you would ruin the glue.
- Place the bias flush with the cloth and basting. If you don’t want to place a bias, don’t worry. By sewing both fabrics and turning them over, your path will be perfect.
- Place the second patterned fabric over the first patterned fabric. The idea is that both prints are one over the other. Secure with pins.
- Sew the contour, leaving one end to flip it.
- Iron the table runner.
- Hand sews the end that has been open and voila!
Ideas to make a table runner
- You can prepare a path for the length of your table or for the width, in this case, it is advisable to make two.
- Do not hesitate to combine fabrics: a path with a center of another fabric can be very beautiful.
- The tips of the table runner can be straight or in spikes, it is your choice!
- You can incorporate details to your liking in the tips or peaks of the road: buttons, sequins, pebbles.
- Paint the fabric by hand if you are good, it will be beautiful!
- If instead, yours is embroidery, what are you waiting for to make an embroidered decoration?
- Crochet lovers can make this project super original and delicate.
- Keep in mind when calculating the size of your table runner that the tip drop must be at least 10 cm. On each side.
What do you think of our ideas? We hope that with this explanation, creating your own personalized table runner will be very simple and encourage you to do so!